In this post, I’m going to show you a few ways to save some cash and visits to the doctor with some Natural Cures And Remedies For Yeast Infections!
For those who don’t know, Yeast infections occur due to the overgrowth of fungi inside the vagina; typically fungi belonging to the Candida species.
The most common culprit is the fungus Candida Albicans, an infection caused by the overgrowth of this particular species is usually treated with antifungal medications known as azoles (for example: Clotrimazole). However, azoles are not very effective against other types of Candida fungi. These fungi need to be countered with other forms of treatment.
Below are some tried and tested natural remedies for yeast infections.
1) Yogurt: Research indicates that the probiotics contained within natural yogurt are effective in culling the growth of yeast. Make it a point to include yogurt in your diet – the probiotics also aid digestion.
The efficacy of yogurt against yeast infections is owed of the presence of the bacterium lactobacillus acidophilus. This species of bacteria is also found living inside a healthy vagina and helps in keeping the growth of fungi within check by producing hydrogen peroxide.
Apply yogurt around the vulva and also inside the vagina. This process can be a bit awkward and messy – but it is worth the effort.
Whatever you do, do NOT use sweetened yogurt! The sugar feeds the yeast and worsens the infection.
2) Tea tree oil: Tea tree oil has antifungal and antiviral properties. Use a tampon to apply tea tree oil on to the inner walls of the vagina. An applicator type tampon makes the job easier.
Tea tree oil causes irritation in some women. Stop this treatment and if things get too uncomfortable or painful; see a doctor immediately.
3) Garlic: If you have ever had experience in baking, you are probably aware of the fact that garlic kills yeast – it is a potent anti-fungal. Garlic is never added to the dough before it has risen as it kills the yeast and the dough does not rise. It is only added just before baking, after the yeast has done its job.
Just eating garlic is not effective in treating a vaginal infection. For best results, insert a peeled clove of garlic into the vagina before going to bed. If you manage to catch the infection early, one or two nights of garlic should be enough. However, if the infection is advanced, you will need to repeat the process for several nights.
Sew a string through the clove – this facilitates easy retrieval. For severe infections, crush the clove lightly or cut it in half. This will probably cause some burning of the skin. However, the skin is already red and swollen – the garlic will kill the fungi and the skin will heal itself in a matter of hours.
4) Boric acid: It turns out that boric acid kills not only cockroaches, but also fungi! LOL
Studies have proven that boric acid is highly effective in treating yeast infections that are hard to cure using azoles.
In fact, it has a 92% cure rate for these types of infections.
However, swallowing boric acid is toxic to the body and applying it directly onto the vulva or inside the vagina is NOT recommended.
Capsules containing boric acid are available over the counter – insert these capsules into the vagina before going to bed.
This form of treatment, even though effective, should not be repeated very often. Also, pregnant ladies should stay away from boric acid at all costs!
5) Cotton underwear: Cotton absorbs moisture and helps keep the skin dry. Stay away from synthetic materials.
6) Cranberry juice: Drinking cranberry juice is often prescribed for treating urinary tract infections. Cranberries help to correct the pH levels within the vagina and inhibit growth of yeast. Only drink natural cranberry juice – the sweetened version actually aggravates the infection as sugar promotes fungal growth.
7) Drink lemon juice diluted with lukewarm water first thing in the morning. Lemon is a diuretic and it helps to regulate the pH levels in the body. Lemon juice has proven to be effective in fat loss and also in controlling diabetes.
[boxibt style=”warning” closebutton=”yes” bordercolor=”red”]Important: Many sources recommend douching for treating yeast infections. DO NOT DOUCHE.[break]
Douching may actually cause the infection to spread to the cervix and the uterus. Douching with vinegar damages the inner walls of the vagina. Doctors strongly advise against douching. There are certain cases where douching might be recommended – but it is definitely not an effective remedy against yeast infections.[/boxibt]
8) Yeast Infections no More
I understand this may be a bit of information overload, but the above treatments do work if done properly. For even MORE treatment options without the stress of wondering if you’re doing things right, check out the book “Yeast Infections No More” by Linda Allen.
It’s a 150 page “guide” with some GREAT information about how to naturally and permanently eliminate your Yeast Infectino WITHOUT creams, drugs or any silly gimmicks.
Here’s the website if you’re interested: www.yeastinfectionsnomore.com.